[su_divider top=”no” divider_color=”#bdc3c4″ link_color=”#384682″ size=”1″ margin=”10″]
If you’re looking to keep your dog happy and comfortable when out and about then a harness is the way to go. If you have read the other articles in this guide section then you should understand exactly what an Easy Walk Harness is and why it is necessary for certain types of pet behavior. In this article we will discuss how an Easy Walk Harness is attached.
Just getting and using a dog harness is not enough. One must know and understand how the harness should be attached so that it can provide all of its useful benefits. It should fit perfectly over the front side of the dog’s chest, which is not always considered to be an easy task for any pooch.
If your Easy Walk Harness is loose fitting or very tight, it will cause discomfort to the dog and as a result cause problems when you’re out walking. An improper fitting harness can cause injuries over time. So continue reading to get the best Easy Walk Harness fitting tips.
While some dog owners feel that their dog harnesses is attached perfectly, their pets think otherwise. Your pet can feel discomfort while standing, walking or even sleeping just because their harness is fitted improperly.
Why It’s Important to Correctly Attach an Easy Walk Harness
Before starting getting into some of the tips and tricks of how to correctly attach an Easy Walk Harness, it is essential to understand the importance of proper fitting.
When your dog’s harness fits properly and comfortably then it not only benefits the dog but you as well. Below are some key aspects of ensuring your dog’s harness fits properly.
[su_list icon=”icon: arrow-circle-right” icon_color=”#d61757″ indent=”5″]
- The Easy Walk Harness is comfortable and some come with cushioned pads. When your dog tries to pull on the leash it will face resistance and will automatically direct itself towards you, the owner. A well-fitted Easy Walk Harness will make sure that the pulling does not cause any kind of a pain to the dog’s neck throat area. Moreover, the dog will be trained unconsciously to always stay by your side when you go for a walk.
- A properly fitted harness is something that helps you gain control of your dog’s movements. These harnesses help to a great extent when it comes to training your dog for athletics, dog shows or just to be a well-behaved pet.
- Furthermore, when your dog’s wearing a harness that fits correctly it is less likely to have any issues when out running, walking or at home sleeping.
- As mentioned before, the harness will make sure to guard your pet’s neck and throat area. If your dog likes to constantly pull while walking then this harness when attached correctly will make sure the pulling does not cause injury or discomfort to the animal.
How To Correctly Attach an Easy Walk Harness?
There are two primary fitting options to attach this type of harness — a step-in harness and overhead harness.
This option and technique is similar to humans putting on pair of pants.
- First lay the harness with its straps unbuckled on the ground. Ensure the spaces where the dog’s legs must go are wide open.
- Now, help put your dog put their front legs through those spaces — make sure to assist your dog with maintaining its balance.
- Next pull the harness up gradually and strap it to the appropriate location, which means ensuring the “O” rings sit above and behind the dog’s shoulders.
- Make any adjustments at this time to ensure the straps are properly fitted — not too tight yet not too loose either.
- Attach a leash on the rings of the harness any you will now have control over your dog.
- Make sure your dog is standing in an upright position.
- Hold its head softly and carefully as you put the harness straps around its neck.
- Next you should buckle the straps ensuring the “O” rings are above and behind the dog’s shoulders.
- Make sure the buckle does not bind or pinch the fur of the dog. The buckles should be tightened enough that they stay in one place and should not be too tight that it leads to discomfort to your pet. The buckles should not be too loose either that the harness is ineffective.
- Finally attach your leash to the leash connecting rings on the harness straps to gain control of your dog’s movements.
Easy Walk Harness – Fitting Tips
Following the fitting of the harness onto your pet, it is important that you adjust the straps. An easy walk dog harness usually has two straps, one on the shoulder and one the rests on the chest.
The shoulder strap should be placed over the dog’s head at first so that you can adjust it while the rings are both behind and above the dog’s shoulders. Adjust the harness by snapping the belly straps and attach it with the shoulder strap. The straps should be tightened in a way that you can insert 1-2 fingers between the dog’s body and the strap of the harness.
The chest strap is the horizontal one; it shall not be too loose that it gets tangled with the dog’s legs and not too tight that it reaches or rest at the neck-level. If you see that the sides of your harness look like a “T”, you’ve done a great job and the harness is a perfect fit.
The only step that remains is attaching the leash with the martingale loop. It is important to make sure that the chest strap is attached directly with the belly strap. You can also follow the image diagram at the top of this post.
Reading this article will provide you with a good guide when attaching and fitting the Easy Walk Harness, but this also requires practice to perfect it. Dogs do not like wearing a harness in the very beginning, and some do all they can to avoid it. This is why you should always try putting it on when you think your dog is in a relaxed mood, which should make it easier until your dog gets used to the harness. However, using these techniques of how to correctly attach an easy walk harness you will surely end up mastering it in no time.